Quick notes… more later.
Summary of “Design Strategy” with Brandon Schauer:
- Design strategy is important, but it doesn’t have to be a month-long project. There are plenty of tools you can use on the back of a napkin to make sure you’re on track.
- Strategy is NOT being “the best” at any/everything. Strategy is about knowing when to say “no.”
- Get your ducks in a row — focus, definition, customer value, and scope.
- One of the biggest skill sets you need in design strategy is facilitation between multiple opinions. You also need to be able to see past what currently exists into alternatives and options.
- Soooo much free alcohol.
Takeaways for my team/department/company:
- I think we are best at “definition” and “customer value” but we fall off the charts in the “focus” and “scope” areas.
- Again, we need to know when to say “no” and not feel bad about it.
- There should be more free alcohol.
Also, I met the Web Goblin.